Gauri Lankesh Shot dead: Attacker fired 7 bullets,3 hit her,1on Forehead.
Senior journalist, editor, and activist, Gauri Lankesh,55, was shot dead by unidentified shooters in Bengaluru yesterday.
The assailant fired 7 shots. Four missed Gauri Lankesh, 3 hit her on her chest and 1 on her forehead outside her residence. She was found dead at the entrance of her home.Police said that the shots were fired from the close range.
She was shot dead when she reached her home after her office.She stepped out of her car and opened the door to her home which is around 8 pm.
Neighbours came out of their flat opposite the home where the journalist lived alone.They heard the voice similar to crackers and found Gauri Lankesh lying with blood.
Sources said that she was followed by people in a car after she left her office in Basavanagudi at 7.30 PM.
Gauri was a senior editor in weekly Kannada Tabloid- Gauri Lankesh Patrika.
“Normally she works for long hours as she is a journalist.Today she seemed to have returned home earlier than usual,’’ a neighbor said.
What has happened so far:
- CCTV footage shows a man wearing a black jacket and a black helmet targeting on Gauri as she approaches the main gate of her residence.
- The footage shows the attacker waiting for Gauri to enter her house. Soon Gauri enters the main gate of her residence, the man attacked her.
- It was very clear that the assailants who targeted senior editor Gauri Lankesh were in a complete plan of killing her.
- Cops are examining the CCTV camera’s installed in the vicinity of her house to get more shreds of evidence.
- Her siblings Indrajit Lankesh and Kavitha Lankesh are both Film-makers in Kannada Film Industry.
- Indrajit Lankesh demanded CBI investigation into the murder of his sister.
- The manner in which Lankesh was shot dead was reminiscent of the way Kannada progressive thinker and researcher MM Kalburgi was shot dead in August 2015 at his residence in Dharwad, about 400km from state capital Bengaluru.
Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah said:
— ANI (@ANI) September 6, 2017
Side Note: Police are trying their best to find the assailant.We all expect the suspect is arrested soon.